updated May 2018
This statement describes how Extern manages your personal information in accordance with the law and your rights. It does not cover every situation so please read notices on forms, web pages or other points where you give us information about yourself. These will describe specifically how we use your information, the reasons and legal basis for holding it as well as your rights. We may update this statement from time to time so please check our website for the most recent version. The term “Extern” is used to cover, Extern Group, Extern NI, Extern Supporting Communities and Extern Ireland.
Who we are
Extern is the leading Social Justice Charity across Ireland. We provide a wide range of services to families and individuals in need of support. We work with people dealing with issues including homelessness, addiction, social exclusion, offending and family problems.
Information we may hold about you and why
This could include:
- To support you when you use any of our services
- Information you give us when you fill in forms, subscribe to our services, (such as publications, sponsorship, or to attend events) and email newsletters
- When you apply for a job or to volunteer with us, including to process applications and to monitor recruitment statistics. If you come to work for us we will retain it to administer your employment including your pension
- Information relevant to being an Extern employee, board member, volunteer or student
- To manage feedback and complaints
- Information we hold about you to support our fundraising operations.
Who do we share your personal information with?
We may share your personal information:
- With our contractors who carry out work on our behalf
- Where we are under a legal obligation to disclose or share your information (for example, with the PSNI/Garda where the information is relevant to the prevention or detection of a crime)
- In some circumstances we may disclose information of potentially criminal behaviour under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act
Transferring information abroad
Your personal information may be transferred to, and stored and processed outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”). If this is the case we will ensure that equivalent standards of information security are maintained.
How long do we keep your information?
As long as necessary for the purpose/s it was collected for. This will vary depending on the type of information, legal requirements or other justifications permitted by Data Protection law. We have a Retention & Disposal Guidance document which sets out retention periods. If you opt-out from fundraising communications we keep your information only to ensure we don’t inadvertently contact you.
Does the law allow this?
Data Protection law including the General Data Protection Regulation, Regulation (EU) 2016/679 sets out the principles we must adhere to and other conditions which must be satisfied. Forms, webpages or other places where you submit information will describe how the particular use complies with the law. If you have any queries, please contact the Data Protection Officer.
You have the right to:
- Ask us not to process your personal information for fundraising or our marketing of Extern. If you wish to do this, please contact the Data Protection Officer.
- See copies of information held about you. Please send your request in writing to the Data Protection Officer. Please include copies of up-to-date photographic ID. We will respond as soon as possible and not longer than one month from receipt
- Ask us to amend, update or delete your information in some circumstances or withdraw consent to our processing of your information for particular purposes by contacting the Data Protection Officer.
If you are unhappy with the way we are managing your personal information please contact our Data Protection Officer. If you are still unhappy you can register complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office (NI) or the Data Protection Commissioner (ROI).
Who to contact
For queries about this privacy statement or any other data protection issues, please contact the Data Protection Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org 07762040894 or by post at Extern, Hydepark House, 3 McKinney Road, Newtownabbey, BT36 6PE.
Information Commissioner’s Office (UK)
Water Lane Wilmslow
Cheshire SK9 5AF
The Information Commissioner’s Office (UK) is Extern’s nominated commissioning authority however if you are in the Republic of Ireland you may contact the Data Protection Commissioner (ROI),
Data Protection Commissioner
Portarlington R32 AP23